Checklist: Set up your JOTA-JOTI space
The Jamboree On The Air - Jamboree On The Internet, known as JOTA-JOTI, is the world’s largest Scout event! Are you ready for it?!
Every October, the digital jamboree enables young people and adult leaders to connect and participate in engaging online activities focused on developing a global perspective and modern skills through a
Many participants register as a Scout Group and gather in person to connect to online events together. If that’s not an option for you, don’t worry - you can participate from the comfort of your home! In fact, many families participate from home together, sometimes setting up camp in their living rooms or backyards!
However you participate, online events can come with specific challenges, so let’s be prepared for a safe, comfortable, and fun digital jamboree by taking a moment to set ourselves up for a great event.
✓ Safety First
Whenever you‘re online, you need to be aware of dangers like scams, catfishing, and manipulative behaviour. It’s important to read the Safe JOTA-JOTI page and get your Safe From Harm Online training certificate before the event so you can learn how to recognise, prevent and report violations or concerns. Note that you must be 13 years or older to sign-up for JOTA-JOTI.
- Participants aged 13-18 must inform and involve a parent or guardian in the JOTA-JOTI experience to supervise online activities.
- A parent or guardian can register on behalf of a child under the age of 13, under the commitment to participate together.
✓ Tech Ready
For the digital jamboree, you’ll need a computer, tablet or phone with internet access to join the activities at jotajoti.info. Choose a space where you have a stable wifi or data connection, so you don’t miss a moment! Your internet connection needs to be strong enough to stream live shows and webinars from our YouTube channel.
- If you’re participating as a group: If possible, you’ll want to set up speakers and a projector or large television to watch live shows and participate in webinars and/or video chats together. Alternatively, you can split into smaller groups and use computers.
- If you’re participating from home: You may want to use headphones with a microphone to assure quality sound.
✓ Comfy Space
Take the time to set up a comfortable space to participate from. This might include a desk or table, comfortable seating, your device(s) and chargers, fun things like your favourite decorations, playlist or Scout memorabilia, and screen-free break time activities (ex. can you solve a Rubik's cube?).
This is a Scout event, so why not go all-in and participate from camp? Whether outdoors or at home, get creative by building a fort or setting up a tent, making s’mores, and having a singalong. Most importantly, stock up on snacks and your favourite drink - we recommend popcorn for the Scouts Live! shows featuring Youth Got Talent.
- Apply the 20-20-20 rule. To avoid eye strain and headaches, look at something 20 feet away for 20 seconds after every 20 minutes spent using a screen. Bonus points if you add a stretch to this habit!
- Keep moving! We should never be sitting for too long. Practice good habit by getting up and away from your computer every hour for some movement - try a short walk, some yoga, or (our favourite) - put on your favourite song and dance!
✓ Scarf and uniform
Your uniform and/or scarf aren’t mandatory for JOTA-JOTI, but they can help you feel connected to our amazing global Scout movement, so we definitely recommend wearing yours! As you see different Scouts on the live shows and webinars, keep your eyes peeled for similarities and differences in uniforms. Your scarf and uniform are what represent you, your group and National Scout Organization!
- The World Organization of the Scout Movement (WOSM) has members from 172 country in all parts of the world! There may be differences in Scouting here and there, but we all wear the purple World Scouting emblem badge on our uniforms. How cool is that?
- During JOTA-JOTI, Scouts often discover groups in entirely different countries that have the same or similar scarf! See if you can spot one.
✓ Try New Things
With so many activities to choose from, don’t feel overwhelmed! You won’t be able to do it all, so pick some of your favourite activities, plus a couple of new things, to build your agenda. Explore the buffet of activity options available in the programme menu, with activities in the areas of Environment & Sustainability, Peace & Community, Skills for Life and Health & Well-Being, plus participate in ongoing activities like chatrooms, games, and live shows.
- Use My Agenda in your JOTA-JOTI profile to easily select and see the events you’re most interested in. Note that all times will automatically be shown in your local timezone.
- Keep Google Translate open on your computer (or use the phone app) to help you chat with friends in different countries.
Ready to have fun?!
The beauty of JOTA-JOTI is that you can do the things you love most while learning about communications technology and the issues you care about. Plus, you’ll be putting Scout values into practice, like global citizenship and creating a better world.
We hope you are as hyped as we are for JOTA-JOTI! Bring your best attitude forward and be prepared to meet new people, share experiences and have loads of fun!
Learn more and get ready at www.jotajoti.info. See you there!