Benghazi Scouts Commission initiated a volunteer campaign to help resolve the crisis of the constant flooding of its city's streets
Benghazi Scout & the heave rains.
In the very early hours of Wednesday 5.12.2018, people were enjoying their deep sleeps in the city that is already exhausted from neglect, slackness and wars.
Out of all the dreams, that night they experienced a nightmare from outside their homes. With no prior caution, a stream of water attacked and demolishing everything it faced in its way.
And during such a cold night and unpleasant circumstances, the Scouts in Benghazi quickly abandoned their sleeps to save any causality that was caused by this unprecedented flood and stream of water in Benghazi, North Libya.
Out of nobleness and the ethical principals embedded in the Benghazi scout members, the scout spread all over the city rapidly to save the emergency voices on social media from individuals or families that are either encircled by water or were driven away because of it. Those driven away, had their homes and belongings ruined and in risk of sinking.
The scout members were in rush to fulfill their duties towards those in need from their City.
This spirit from the scout however was not only born in that catastrophic Wednesday. It started when the weather was going wild and rain was strong enough to weaken the infrastructure. And this the scout already had these practical steps done:
- 2nd of December, 11:00pm: Establishment of emergency room, a decision issued by Benghazi Scouts Commission; to carry out its work and to prepare its plans once it is formed.
First step was:
- 3rd if December, Morning: 67 scout member participated in:
1. Easing traffic jams
2. Facilitating getting rid of rainwater
3. Sheltering 63 displaced person, to the Scout’s headquarter in Benghazi
4. Moving all those who survived to 1200 hospital to check up on their health.
5. More than 80 people were saved from drowning, including children and women.
Agencies that cooperated with the Scout’s Commission: Red Crescent, Rapid Emergency, Security Authorities, And National safety.
In conclusion of this report, we wish for all our families all over the country, safety and good health.
We emphasize that The Scout is an integral part of the nation’s social fabric and is always ready with the help of God to assist with all it can in lines with its principals.
May God protect Libya and its people.