POSTPONEMENT OF THE 6TH WORLD SCOUT INTERRELIGIOUS SYMPOSIUM
Dear Friends in Scouting,
Following the last updates on the outbreak and persistence of the highly infectious Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19), I regret to inform you that the 6th World Scout Interreligious Symposium and the ancillary “Awareness Workshop on Interreligious Dialogue”, organised by WOSM and supported by the Interreligious Forum of World Scouting and hosted by Scouts et Guides de France on behalf of Scoutisme Français, between 10th – 15th March 2020, are postponed indefinitely.
This decision came as a result of an ongoing monitoring of the situation by WOSM and the Host Organization, taking into account the following elements:
- The World Health Organization has increased the worldwide risk level to “very high”, confirming the presence of the virus in 72 countries and 90,870 people infected.
- France, the Host country, and particularly the region where the venue is located, is currently facing a significant increase of cases with local authorities recommending minimising public gatherings. Moreover, the risk in the whole of the European Union has been ranked “moderate to high” by the European Union.
- The risk of contracting the virus for participants who would be travelling through various airports and countries across the world.
- Risk of flight suspensions before, during and after the event by various travel agencies as well as rigorous procedures at various airports transits.
- WOSM’s obligation to guarantee a safe and healthy environment for participation in all World Scouting events.
We are closely monitoring the situation globally. Meanwhile, the Planning Team is looking for alternatives to develop Crowdcasts during the weekend of the Symposium to deliver some of the topics planned, and further information will be sent shortly.
WOSM will reimburse all registration fees which had been paid already. The World Scout Bureau will reach out to all NSOs affected to make the necessary arrangements.
Should you have any queries on the above decision, please do not hesitate to contact Carla Simões, Director - Youth Programme (email@example.com) at the World Scout Bureau and lead staff support for the event.
Thank you for understanding and we look forward to hosting you soon.
Yours in Scouting,
World Organization of the Scout Movement