Welcome @Welcome !
On November 10th and 11th 2018, 800 leaders from 14-17 years old (Ventures-Guides) gathered in Jambville for the launch of the "Welcome" year!What does "Welcome" mean ?
It is a welcoming approach, launched as a challenge to the leaders of 14-17 years old branch of the Scouts et Guides de France.
Our "Growing Together" Orientation Plan 2015-2022, brings us to welcome new youth throughout the year and also on our summer camps (as for the "Brownsea Challenge" of summer 2018). It is in this spirit and in WOSM's growth strategy to reach 100 million Scouts in 2023 that the 14-17 years old leaders met.
Welcome, it was 2 days of trainings, exchanges, and workshops around newcomers beyond our borders. The participants took part to share their own practices, their aspirations and to reflect on the welcome in their own unit. And, of course, festive moments, like the campfire spent together!
The following guests took part in the event:
- Jo Deman, World Scout Committee member: He affirmed that the desire to welcome more youth is spread in all Scout associations around the world! He also spoke about the goal of the 120,000 members of Scouts et Guides de France in 2023 and challenged us to be 200,000 members in 2028!
- Gabriel Attal, Secretary of State to the Minister of National Education and Youth, in charge of Youth.
We also had the chance to welcome our brothers and sisters from other Scout and / or Guide Associations from Albania, Belgium, Morocco, Portugal, Romania and Slovenia. We exchanged on the venture branch, the welcome and gave them the opportunity to exchange with leaders. We also exchanged with them on the projects set up by each association to reach out more youth.
But how ?
The approach can explained in 4 steps :
- To prepare: A meeting requires preparation. And that's not the simplest part: it's accepting to be challenged, not to do everything as you dreamed. To realize that the result is much better!
- To invite: Inviting is daring, it’s to open your mind. When we talk about Scouting, we quickly have the stereotypes. How to help young people to be ambassadors of Scouting around them ?
- To gather: Do they know Scouting? How to include them in our activities and make them discover step by step Scouting? To make sure they are not lost?
- To review : Any experience is worth to review. This is especially important when these experiences are strong and give fruit: new friendships for example. It is also an opportunity to put down our inner tensions and the difficulties that we crossed during this adventure ...
And now ? It's up to each leader to make Welcome becoming true! Each venture unit 14-17 is invited to welcome as many youths and leader as possible, from all backgrounds, to introduce them to Scouting! By 2022, we hope to be 20,000 members in the age section!