Youth Centred Disaster Risk Response and Management Project
Implementation of disaster risk management interventions is carried out by different players at different levels, from the community to the national level. While some of these stakeholders have substantial knowledge base and experience on DRM, most of the other players require training from time to time on different aspects of disaster risk management. The training of Scout Core-Team on Disaster Risk management National Training presents us a unique opportunity to equip scouts with skills and knowledge that will help them serve respective communities well in times of disasters.
Specific Objectives of the Training
The following were the specific objectives of the training;
1. To understand the disaster specifics in Malawi, the history and types of hazards
2. To provide a deeper understanding of the common terms and concepts in relation to Disaster Risk Management in order for the participants to demonstrate their knowledge in Disaster Risk Management.
3. To discuss how to manage disaster risks caused by (related to) climate change / weather
4. To enhance participants’ understanding of the contingency planning process.
5. To practically prepare institutions and enhance their capacities to effectively share information, make decisions and respond to actual disaster situations or scenarios while also testing the effectiveness of response mechanisms.
6. To help participants demonstrate an understanding of ways of integrating Disaster Risk Management into Sustainable Development.