WOSM COVID-19 Emergency Response
We write to provide you with additional updates on our ongoing support for Scouting through our Emergency Response to COVID-19. As the pandemic continues affecting societies worldwide, our Movement continues to showcase its agility in adapting to a changing world with different needs. We have seen countless initiatives by our National Scout Organizations: supporting local communities in their emergency response, continuously delivering a meaningful Scout Programme at Home to developing innovative solutions for healthcare workers on the front line.
Over the past weeks, the World Organization of the Scout Movement (WOSM) has adapted to respond to the needs of our 171 Member Organisations. During this period, we:
- issued initial safety measures and advisories to NSOs,
- delivered JOTI Special Edition as a framework to encourage Scouting @ Home,
- established a central digital hub with news and resources on COVID-19, unlocking all the work of our NSOs to a global audience,
- provided a series of regional and world level engagements for NSOs,
- initiated an emergency funding appeal and started providing urgent finances to several local NSO projects to combat COVID-19,
- built on our alliances with other international NGOs to support the work of our NSOs in the field,
- revised our budgetary situation, and implemented necessary cost-cutting measures.
As the pandemic continues to change the world as we know it, we are mindful that the impact will be felt for many months and possibly years to come. As your World Organization, it is essential that we accompany you on this journey to recovery and provide you with the support you need. Therefore, we have reviewed our planning for the next 100 days, to ensure we are focused on providing all NSOs with the necessary support you may require during this time. As part of our 100-day Emergency Response, we are pleased to inform you that we will provide:
- a continued focus on Scouting@Home programmes, making sure you have one-stop access to the wealth of resources developed by NSOs around the world
- a direct support to all COVID-19 emergency response initiatives by NSOs; both organisationally through our WOSM Consultants, financially where possible through our emergency funding appeal, and by enhancing your initiative through the partnerships WOSM has nurtured over the years with the world's leading emergency response organisations
- a virtual World Scout Academy to provide learning and exchange opportunities for Adults in Scouting, which will be hosted over 10 weeks throughout June and July
- a coordinated communication effort for amplifying the work of Movement as well as close collaboration with the World Scout Foundation to mobilise financial and in-kind resources for Scouting with existing and new donors worldwide
In addition to these projects to support you in the COVID-19 context, we will also continue to provide you with our “core business” set of WOSM Services. To make all of this happen at the same time, we are implementing an agile and digital approach to our work, ensuring maximum efficiency of resources and at the same time harnessing the partnership between our WOSM volunteers and staff, and unlocking the expertise of our partners.
Looking further in the future, and with the postponement of the World Scout Youth Forum and World Scout Conference, we are also progressing our planning which reflects that Scouting worldwide will be entering a “new normal” in societies. We are working closely with all internal stakeholders to share a plan with you by June that will provide a bridge to the World Scout Conference, adapt WOSM to the new reality and at the same time delivers on the expectations you will have towards us.
These are exceptional times for Scouting, posing challenges many of us have never seen before. We want to reassure you that WOSM is here to support each NSO. Although it is a challenging journey, Scouting will emerge from this period, able to reflect on the necessary steps it took to support young people with their continued development.
Should you have any further questions on WOSM’s response to COVID-19 and our support offer, do not hesitate to contact us or your Regional Support Centre.