Cleanliness Drive and Awareness program on Biodiversity & Ganga River Conservation
Project Name: Biodiversity and Ganga Conservation, Ganga Prahari Program,
Sub Project Name: Cleanliness Drive cum Awareness Program.
Date: 21st July, 2019
Venue: Panihati Ferry Ghat, West Bengal.
WII Team Members: 1. Mr. Saurav Gawan (Conservation Biologist- Biodiversity &
Ganga Conservation Project)
2. Ms. Suchismita Das
Participants: 1. Ganga Prahari, West Bengal
2. School students of “Panihati Trannath High School”.
Department: 1. West Bengal Forest Department
2. Panihati Municipality.
Health, Hygiene and Cleanliness are the backbone of the environment in which human & wildlife can survive in peace. Ganga is a very important part of the eco-system and also basic need of the peoples, but has been taken for granted for long time. Today approximately 15 Ganga Praharies under the supervision Mr. Saurav Gawan and
Ms. Suchismita Das from WII organised a cleanliness drive cum awareness program at Panihati Ferry Ghat, Kolkata with the kind support & cooperation from the officials & staffs of Panihati Municipality, West Bengal Forest Department and a local club named Panihati Vaishnabh Samiti.
The day began with a great enthusiasm with a brief orientation session by the Ganga Praharies, who further shared their experiences and journey after joining WII with the students. They also interact with the local peoples, shopkeepers, vendors, and enlighten them with their knowledge about the importance of the clean ganga and not for human beings but also for the wildlife animals.
After this Mr. Gawan welcomed the students (30) from the Panihati Trannath High School. He introduced and share the concept of Bal Ganga Prahari and enlighten them on why children are important to make this programme more successful. The presence of the children from the local school made the program very special and with consent of the Head Master and the officials of the school the students had been included to the Bal Ganga Prahari Program under the WII project. In interactive session all the participants i.e Ganga Praharies, Bal Ganga Praharies and local community members discussed about the importance to keep the surrounding of ganga clean and what are the impact on environment, specially in context of the fresh water eco-system.
Towards the end of the interactive session Ganga Praharies further motivated the participants that how they can be the flag bearer from their communities in efforts to ensure an Aviral Nirmal Flowing Ganga.
This was followed by an awareness rally along the Ghat where the motivated participants sensitized visitors and community members about the Biodiversity of Ganga River and importance of cleanliness in ensuring survival of Ganga aqualife, they also requested them to participate in the cleanliness drive.
This mass cleanliness drive was conducted at the Panihati Feri ghat, where Ganga Praharies, School children and WII team members took part with great zeal and excitement.
This event ended with a cleanliness pledge by the participants where they promised not to litter and do not let others to litter their Ghats also ensure every little effort that would lead to the conservation and protection of Ganga River and its Biodiversity.
Future Continuation Plan:
- As we observed during the work that the garbage amount is very large than our speculations so we were not able to recover the Ghat to its purest form. So, we want to observe a “Cleanliness Drive Week” to cover the rest portion of the work and to restore the beauty of the Ghat.
- As the work load is very high so we need the full support & help from the Municipality with their man power and tools.
- After the cleaning operation, we want to plant some trees for beatification of Ghat and to keep the Ghat clean. We will request to local clubs and peoples to take care of them.
- We will request to Municipality to put some metal boards for awareness purpose.
- Allocation of more Dustbin on the Ghat is needed to keep it clean, we will discuss about it with Municipality.