The Danish-Zimbabwean partnership
The Danish-Zimbabwean partnership is part of a programme initiative started by the Danish Scout and Guide Association in order to further intercultural education internationally as well as locally. The aim of the project has been to enable scouts from Denmark and Zimbabwe to engage in cross-cultural communication and knowledge sharing during the Danish jamboree in July 2017. Danish participants in the project have dedicated service hours to the following activities:
1) Fundraising to pay for camp expenses and travel costs to enable 8 Zimbabwean scouts to attend the Danish jamboree
2) Support during the visa application process
3) Practical arrangements, including organisation of travel, Home Hospitality plus sightseeing in Aarhus and Copenhagen
4) Collecting equipment - both to be used by the Zimbabwean scouts at camp and to be donated in support of the scouting movement in Zimbabwe. Some gear is new, other items recycled.
5) Acting as hosts during camp, ensuring a good experience for both Danish and Zimbabwean youths.
The number of hours is an estimate as we have not counted the many evenings and weekends spent thinking, planning, writing, waiting. . . and wondering what to do next when receiving a rejection letter. Along the way the people included as participants in this MoP project offered invaluable help, encouraging us, the two project initiators, to proceed and finally accomplish our goal: to make it possible for 6 young people and 2 leaders from the Scouts of Zimbabwe attend the Danish national jamboree.
Hanne Tange and Troels Forchhammer
Det Danske Spejderkorps