Nominations now open for Messengers of Peace Hero Award 2021
World Scouting has opened the call for nominations for the Messengers of Peace Hero Award to recognise the outstanding achievements of Scouts and volunteers who are promoting peace and contributing improve the sustainability of their communities.
Since 2010, the Messengers of Peace initiative has engaged Scouts in building a global culture of peace and justice through millions of individual and community service actions. Every year World Scouting welcomes inspiring Scouts to be nominated and awarded as Messengers of Peace Heroes for their extraordinary role as active citizens in carrying out peace-building projects in their communities.
Over the years the award has been given to 79 people for projects that range from providing clean water to schools in South Sudan to tackling gang violence in Colombia to helping children displaced by war in the Ukraine.
This year, the Messengers of Peace Hero Award will recognise young people at the national, regional and global levels whose community service efforts fall into the following categories:
- Environment and sustainability: Working to tackle climate change, restore nature, and promote sustainable consumption and lifestyle habits.
- Health and well-being: Improving the resilience of young people in the areas of physical, mental and social health and well-being
- Peace and community engagement: Building resilient communities and sustainable development through youth participation in decision-making processes and conflict resolution.
- Skills for life: Supporting the development of young people's competencies to enable their personal growth and prepare them for a transition into adulthood.
- COVID-19 emergency response: Leading COVID-19 response and recovery efforts by supporting national authorities and early responders or leading awareness campaigns and initiatives to help young people and local communities.
The Messengers of Peace Hero Award nominations are open to young people between the ages of 11 and 26 who have completed a community service project in the past two years related to one or more of the award categories. To nominate someone for the award fill in the online nomination form by 30 June 2021.
Please note that self-nominations will not be considered for the award. Nominations do not require authorisation or endorsement, however the endorsement of successful awardees as Messengers of Peace Heroes is mandatory later in the selection process.