The World Scout Bureau (WSB) is the Secretariat of the World Organization. The Bureau is directed by the Secretary General of WOSM, who is the Chief Administrative Officer of the World Organization. The Secretary General is appointed by the World Scout Committee.
The World Scout Bureau comprises of approximately 120 staff, based in eight locations around the world:
- World Scout Bureau Global Support Centre - Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
- World Scout Bureau Global Support Centre - Geneva, Switzerland
- World Scout Bureau Africa Support Centre - Nairobi, Kenya
- World Scout Bureau Arab Support Centre - Cairo, Egypt
- World Scout Bureau Asia-Pacific Support Centre - Makati City, Philippines
- World Scout Bureau Eurasia Support Centre - Kiev, Ukraine
- World Scout Bureau Europe Support Centre - Geneva, Switzerland and Brussels, Belgium
- World Scout Bureau Interamerica Support Centre - Panama City, Republic of Panama
The legal seat of the World Scout Bureau is located in Geneva, Switzerland. The Secretary General’s Office is located in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
For enquiries, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
As the secretariat of the World Organization, the World Scout Bureau has a number of constitutionally defined functions:
- It assists the World and Regional Scout Conferences, and the World and Regional Committees and their subsidiary bodies in the fulfilment of their functions. This includes the preparation of meetings and the provision of the necessary services to implement the decisions of the various bodies.
- It provides services for the promotion of Scouting throughout the world.
- It maintains relations with National Scout Organizations (NSOs) and helps them develop Scouting in their country.
- It promotes the development of Scouting in countries where it does not exist.
- It supports the organisation of international and regional Scout events such as World and Regional Jamborees.
- It maintains relations with international organisations whose activities are concerned with youth matters.
The World Scout Bureau's operations are financed partly from the annual registration fees paid by National Scout Organizations, based on their membership. Other support comes from foundations, corporations, development agencies, and individuals. Support also comes from the World Scout Foundation.
The Secretary General is appointed by the World Scout Committee of which he/she is an ex-officio member. He/she is the Chief Executive Officer of WOSM and directs its Secretariat, the World Scout Bureau. The role of the Secretary General is to promote and safeguard the interests of the Movement.