Scouting in Denmark Moves Forward With Environmental Sustainability
KFUM-Spejderne I Danmark has adopted a new environmental sustainability strategy, focusing on finding easy and doable solutions for pressing environmental issues, with a planned review every half year.
A new strategy for environmental sustainability will help Scouts in Denmark ensure a common direction and more ambitious initiatives within sustainability. The strategy is made as a half-year review process, where new actions will be discussed and implemented at sustainability dialogue meetings, where everybody is welcome. It is also possible to give input online.
The first chosen actions are:
- Goal of SCENES certifying 5 Scout centres with relation to KFUMSpejderne I Danmark latest in 2022
- Create a selfassessment sustainability certification for Scout groups, with inspiration from World Scout Environment Program
- Create a web homepage with all environmental sustainability programs, to make it easy to access materials
- Create environmental sustainability principles for national Scout camps and events
- Adopt environmental sustainability as a core focus when collaborating with external partners
- Host environmental sustainability dialogue meetings every half year, where all members can come with input and proposals for the work with sustainability. The results of the dialogue meetings will be the foundation for the next half year’s actions.
- Reducing the number of extra produced member magazines and a maximum of 1 unit of the same magazine per address (so three members in the same address are not all receiving a copy).
First sustainability dialogue meeting will be hosted later this month.
The strategy is an outcome of a process starting with identifying which Sustainable Development Goals to tackle. Eventually, it is difficult to enhance all 17 goals at the same time. Therefore Goals 12 about responsible consumption and production, and Goal 13 about climate action, were chosen as a main focus for the Danish strategy.
Do you want to team up with the Danish sustainability team? Or do you have ideas and thoughts to share, then please write a mail to email@example.com.
This article was written by KFUM-Spejderne I Danmark and edited by Scouting in Europe.