Rovers in action 2019 (Flood Relief)
- The lower regions of Myanmar have been facing a flood disaster as like constant previous years. Even though the local authorities made a lot of pre-disaster awareness and preparations, when rain finally comes and people from these areas suffered from the worst flooding of the year and the big landslides which made the entire village to disappear.
- As soon as the news widely spread on televisions and social media, many of the rovers requested the NSO for the relief project. The NSO approved to announce that the Scout National Headquarter will make a flood relief project like last year, and every scouts and rovers could be a part of this project to help for the flood disaster.
- Start from the time of the announcement, rovers started their actions in their respective universities with different activities. Some units collected money and other donations and later planned for a flood relief trip to those areas. Some of the scouts already cooperated with other partner organizations and joined for a flood relief donation trip. Also, the NSO requested and got approval the emergency grant from MOP.
- As mentioned, there were many flood relief actions are already moving on by different rover units, the NSO was informed some of the important information from them about the areas which in fact needed help. Especially from the Dagon University Scout unit, the project team collected the actual ground situations and contact persons from the local which were really helpful for the project “#RoversInAction_FloodRelief_2019” to implement.
- According to these information and news, the team decided to go to Kyar Inn Seik Kyi village of Kayin State, which is in the Southeastern part of the country, where we have more safety for our rovers and where the emergency supplies still needed.
- This year, we decided to get supplies from the Mawlamyaing city of Mon State, where we can buy some supplies before going to Kyar Inn Seik Kyi village, as we discussed and confirmed that this is more convenient way and easier for the team instead of buying everything from Yangon to that area.
The project was initiated by Mr. Phyo Thura Win, Coordinator in-charged of Youth Programme, monitored and assisted by Alex Kaung Myat Htoo, Coordinator in-charged of Communication & International Affairs and jointly led by Aung Naing Htet, and Zwe Khaung Tay Zar who are the Rover Leaders. There were also some other 9 rovers from different universities and units joined with the Project team in this flood relief trip.
So, the project #RoversInAction_FloodRelief_2019 trip started with the total of (11) rovers. According to last year experiences, the boots, raincoats, safety helmets for the rovers were prepared. And also brief discussion and explanation of the project to the team members were delivered by the NSO.