Youth Empowerment Strategies & Advocacy-Marsabit
The Moyale Youth Polytechnic scout, in Kenya, is seeking an assistance to undertake 2-month advocacy program Dumbed as “Youth Empowerment Strategies and Advocacy” within the Pastoralist Communities living in the Northern part of Kenya. With the objective of helping all at risk marginalized children and youth through effective empowerment and advocacies geared toward influencing policy direction that had been marginalizing some segment of our societies for long. The project will sensitize communities on the side effects and danger of marginalization and violence on children and youth in order to minimize aftermath vices associated with violence.
The program will adopt multifaceted approach thus require funding in the amount of $3,000 for scout members training, Local FM radio station campaigns, community forums, School visits and purchase of other required resources such as posters, fliers, brochures etc.
Statement of Need
In the area of our operation, there exist high level of violence Children, Adolescent and youth. Unfortunately, some of these issues were never reported or addressed thus leaving the victims to suffer in isolation. It is too sad to note that perpetuators of some of these cases are close family members, communities and policy makers. This turn of events had caused untold suffering to many children, youth and women thus affecting their sanctity of lives in more ways than one.
This Project will enable marginalized Children and youth to share and speak out against the ordeal they had been undergoing in silence. Communities will also be more sensitized thus chances of victims suffering in isolation will be minimized since neighbors can easily report any elements of marginalization and violence to the right authorities anytime. This in turn will improve values of lives of these children and youth. The problems of depressions and stresses among these marginalized segments will be also minimized, thus peaceful coexistence and harmonious living cultures cultivated.
The project will specifically target the following groups living in the project area:
1. Schools children
2. Out of schools children
3. Leaders - formal and informal leaders throughout the project area.
4. Traditional village elders
5. Women groups - throughout the project area.
6. Youth groups- throughout the project area.
7. Religious groups.
8. Nomadic herders in the remote parts of the project areas
- Sensitization campaign via Local FM radio stations
- Communities dialogue forum
- Women group meetings
- Schools visits program
- Youths workshops
- Leaders forums
- Social media campaigns
- Training of YOUTH MONITORS in every location who will report any act of violence against children and adolescents.
- Communities will become more sensitive to violence against children and adolescents
- Leaders will become alert and conscious on violence against children and adolescents
- Children and adolescents too will be more informed thus sensitive to matter violence against themselves and their peers
- Law enforcers will be awaken too on their roles on violence against children and youth
- Increased youth with skills
- Violence against children and adolescents will be gradually minimized and overcome.