Plastic takes hundreds of years to break down in the environment, yet so many people don't think twice before throwing away a plastic product after using it only once.
These are called single-use plastics --cups, straws, bags, forks and knives, and more-- the plastic items we think of as "disposable" but will in reality end up sitting in landfills for decades.
Scouts are committed to creating a more sustainable world, that's why this year for Earth Hour, we're replacing single-use plastics with reusable, sustainable solutions.
Show your support for a plastic-free planet by sharing a selfie on Instagram showing how you've replaced a single-use plastic with something more sustainable. Tag your post and declare that you're a #PlasticFreeScout by 31 March for a chance to win a prize from the World Scout Shop! Read the rules below for more information:
1. Delivery format: Instagram selfie
2. Theme of the contest: Scouts go Plastic-Free
3. Only participation from Scouts will be considered
4. Photos must clearly show the single-use plastic replacement and that the participant is a Scout (Take your selfie while in uniform or with your scarf)
5. There's no limit on how many unique posts you submit
6. Winning posts will be announced in April 2018
7. Posts will be judged according to their compliance with the rules of this contest and adherence to its theme.
8. Closing date: 11:59pm GMT 31 March, 2018
9. Only posts made on Instagram with the hashtag #PlasticFreeScout will be considered
How to participate:
To participate, you must upload your post to Instagram with the hashtag #PlasticFreeScout by 11:59pm GMT 31 March, 2018
3 selected posts will receive a prize from the World Scout Shop
By participating in this contest, you accept these rules and give authorization to the World Organization of the Scout Movement to use the materials published in media and communication channels.