Overall Objectives of the project were as following:
· To help children, school personnel and community members to value diversity and deepen their understanding of themselves and others through improved communication, thereby offering an appropriate and effective school based conflict resolution method and tools;
· To increase the listening, critical and creative thinking, and problem-solving ability of children;
· To promote Scouting as an effective way of addressing non-formal education needs and source of youth capacity building.
The following steps have been taken to achieve the project objectives:
Activity 1: Leadership and mediation trainings for Peer Mediators with the participation of 43 youth have been implemented in April, 2012.
Activity 2: Peer mediators have implemented activities in their respective schools: presentations, art exhibitions, green box, debates, creating Facebook page, forum theatre.
Activity 3: Scout groups have organized scout games together with the peer mediators in the project schools.
Activity 4: Summer camp (5 daysX100 part.): Scout summer camp - “Peaceful 2012” – with the participation of 100 youth was organized in Racha, Georgia on July 17-23, 2012.
Project outcomes and outputs:
“Scouts Promoting Non-Violence among the Youth”turned out to be very successful project firstly due to high motivation of the project beneficiaries and scout leaders, involved in the implementation process. The following were major outcomes and outputs of the project:
· 43 students have been prepared and trained in Leadership and Conflict Mediation.
· 19 small-scale activities have been carried out by the schools with participation of the Peer Mediators, other students, school administration, teachers, parents and families.
· Scout groups have organised scout activities in the target schools and shared scouting experience with their fellows;
4. 40 new members have joined the Scouts of Georgia;
5. 60 students of 4 schools (with around 3000 students in total) have learned about scouting as an effective method of promoting non-formal education and became interested in joining the movement;
6. 100 youth took part in a scout camp “Peaceful 2012” and acquired different outdoor and scouting skills along with the Peace building and Environment Protection knowledge and abilities;
7. Parents have shown an interest in their children’s new occupation and assessed it very positively;
8. 150 students, have become Messengers of Peace and are spreading the Peace Message around Georgia.