Itajaí is a harbor city, located on the northern coast of Santa Catarina, Brazil has approximately 150,000 inhabitants. Its economy is based on the merchant and fishing port. Despite the booming economy, Itajaí, like other municipalities, has an unequal distribution of wealth, leading to the formation of pockets of poverty.
One of these communities is Imaruí, known by the presence of drug traffickers and precarious dwellings, often built in the area of invasion (mangrove), with poor health infrastructure. Currently, about 3,000 persons residing in Imaruí.
The social marginalization in this area exposes children to child labor, sexual exploitation, the massacres and the reduced life expectancy, the brutality of family violence, the abuse and abandonment. It is therefore necessary to break the social immobility, giving these children an opportunity to give them a healthy occupation, stimulating their moral, religious, civic and social lives.
OBJECTIVES OF THE PROJECT
1. Encourage people with disabilities in Scouting activities that develop their autonomy and self-esteem, appropriate to their limitations;
2. Provide educational experiences to the children served through external situations and its effect on the environment, by creating spaces and opportunities for group experiences, as well as integration with the local community;
3. Develop with the Volunteers / Caregivers inclusive practices, embedded in the methodology Scout;
4. Actions to promote human development, citizenship and, consequently, the community's capacity to act on their own behalf;
5. Shares of non-formal education of the poor aimed at intellectual growth, personal and social development of children and young people, contributing to the assisted knowledge and tools to obtain a self-responsible attitude and self-sustaining.
6. Create a model project for Brazil Scouts Association directed to people with disabilities in all states of the country.
1. Serving 15 children with disabilities, inclusion of 66 new children on the existing set of 164. Improved quality of life and self-esteem development of values, skills and human capacity; Development with the support of a local institution some specialty tailored exclusively for their children with special needs such as: crafts, painting and Paralympic Sports;
2. Training of 15 new local institution volunteers in the existing team of 32. Qualification as executors and multipliers; 13 of the 15 volunteers have already made preliminary course of scouting and also they made the first stage of basic course for Scout leaders and Scout. Among them are professionals from diverse backgrounds, as educators, psychologists, physiotherapists and trainers Brazilian sign language;
3. Five lectures by experts to the children's families and the surrounding community of Imaruí. Stimulus for the development of local vocations; Promotion of basic computer courses to 270 students in the community of 07 to 70 years old in partnership with the city;
4. Four monthly activities based on the method scouting and learning by doing. Training to take initiatives and resolution of challenges; Activity "Cleaning the World," which aims to encourage the Imaruí community to care for the environment; 92 children involved in civic activities commemorating the independence of Brazil.
5. Employment to 7 senior scouts of Imaruí community in the following industries: oil, transportation, shipyard, banking, wholesale distributors; One senior scout in college;
6. Provide a library for the Imaruí community under the program Green Room of the federal government, in partnership with Univali University.
7. Model for Brazil
ACTIVITIES AND METHODS USED
Activity 1: Encourage disabled through actions Scouts adapted their limitations, to develop their autonomy; Provide experiences through external situations to the child and adolescent experiences by providing opportunities for action on the environment;
Activity 2: Developing inclusive practices with the Volunteer of the practices inserted into the Scout method; Develop community capacity to act for their own benefit through actions that promote human development and citizenship;
Activity 3: Develop tools for obtaining knowledge for assuming a self-responsible and self-sustaining through the actions of non-formal education of the poor aimed at intellectual growth, personal and social development of children and young people.