3 - Strategic Planning
It is important that young peoples’ actions meet a real need in their community and help to develop Scouting locally. Using a strategic approach will help you to achieve this.
Here are some tips on taking a strategic approach to developing your project:
• Be clear of what you want to achieve
i.e. what are the key elements that need to be included in project?
How do you as a Scout Unit/Group/District/association want to progress?
• Have a vision of how your community can be different?
Creating and sharing a vision is a key factor in motivating others to be involved.
The young people in your Scout Group and members of the community should be part of setting out a vision for the future.
• Identify your current starting point
It is important to be realistic in assessing your current situation – in Scouting and in the community - and use this as the starting point for your planning.
• Set priorities
It will not be possible to do everything. Decide what actions will have the greatest impact and focus on these.
• Be realistic with your plans
It is much better to do a few things well and achieve results than have half-finished ideas with no achievements.
Review progress regularly and don’t be afraid to change your plans to respond to changing circumstances.
• Implement your plans
Planning can be fun but you will only make a difference when your plans are implemented.
All the Scouts should be involved in activities relevant to their age and experience.
• Evaluate the plans and activities
- Everyone involved in the project should have the opportunity to be involved in the evaluation.
- This should be an active process involving the young people themselves.
- Two aspects of the project should be evaluated – the impact on the community and the changes in the young people.
Participating in projects, on a small or large scale, does not require you to set aside the priorities in your association/district/group; it is about using these as a means of achieving your priorities and achieving the Mission of Scouting. ScoutPAX is designed to help you through the planning process – go to step 5 to see how the project might be developed using the materials in this resource.
We believe that Scouting can make a difference and create a better world. Let's show others the difference that we can make and remember to tell others what you have done. Happy planning!