International Olympic Committee
As head of the Olympic Movement, The International Olympic Committee (IOC) aims to promote Olympism throughout the world. Olympism is a life philosophy, stressing a balance between body, will and mind.
The mission of the Olympic Movement is to build peace and goodwill throughout the world by educating youth through sport practiced without discrimination and in the spirit of friendship. Equality in sports is paramount and this is reflected in the Olympic Movement's activities.
Some of the Olympic Movement's activities include:
- Promoting sport and competitions through the intermediary of national and international sports institutions world-wide.
- Cooperation with public and private organisations to place sport at the service of mankind.
- Assistance to develop "Sport for All".
- Advancement of women in sport at all levels and in all structures, with a view to achieving equality between men and women.
- Opposition to all forms of commercial exploitation of sport and athletes.
- The fight against doping.
- Promoting sports ethics and fair play.
- Raising awareness of environmental problems.
- Financial and educational support for developing countries through the IOC institution Olympic Solidarity.